UNHCR, the UN Refugee Agency, seeks to build a pool of potential candidates to work as interpreters/translators from English-Bulgarian and Bulgarian-English language at various events organized by UNHCR in 2021 by the UNHCR Representation in Bulgaria.
In order to support the government in its compliance with its responsibilities under international refugee law, UNHCR Bulgaria regularly conducts training, capacity building, and awareness raising sessions for authorities, legal experts, service providers; organizes various advocacy and lobbying events with national and international stakeholders; and prepares written materials in both languages.
The contracted interpreters are required to interpret/translate from English-Bulgarian and Bulgarian-English at various events related to the protection and solutions of asylum-seekers, beneficiaries of international protection and stateless persons in Bulgaria organized by UNHCR in 2021.
UNHCR is a global organization dedicated to saving lives, protecting rights and building a better future for refugees, forcibly displaced communities and stateless people. Every year, millions of men, women and children are forced to flee their homes to escape conflict and persecution. The organization is present in over 125 countries, using our expertise to protect and care for millions.
Contract Type: Individual Contractor
date: 03 May 2021
Start date: 14 May 2021
UNHCR is seeking to create a pool of interpreters who are dynamic and proactive team players, with a strong interest to enhance the advocacy work of UNHCR towards improving the lives of asylum-seekers and refugees in Bulgaria.
The selected interpreters will work closely with the UNHCR team and will contribute to the UNHCR’s strategic directions in the area of protection and integration of refugees in Bulgaria.
Duties and responsibilities
• Provides simultaneous or consecutive interpretation from the said languages as per the format of the organized advocacy event.
• Translates related materials from Bulgarian to English and/or from English to Bulgarian.
• Responds to queries relating to the area of responsibility.
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE will:
• Possess a tertiary degree in a relevant field.
• Have at least 5 years of experience in interpretation, preferably in the area of asylum.
• Be fluent in English and Bulgarian, with advanced writing and editing skills. Additional languages are desirable, but not essential.
• Have excellent knowledge of the legal asylum terminology.
• Have good experience using the Microsoft Office suite (Outlook, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint).
• Demonstrate a genuine desire to learn and develop.
• Be highly organized and have good attention to detail.
• Be able to multi-task and to priorities workload.
• Be a flexible, team-player.
Contract entitlement shall be as per the respective agenda of UNHCR advocacy activities in 2021.
The selected candidates will be contracted under Individual Contractor contracts in accordance with the UNHCR Rules and Regulations.
This contract is neither a regular employment with UNHCR, nor does it imply such prospects on the basis of this contract.
Selection in the pool of suitable interpreters does not entitle the individual to any payment from UNHCR unless UNHCR has requested her/his interpretation/translation service and he/she has delivered the required service.
Interested applicants should submit their letter of motivation, Personal History Form (PHF) and CV to email@example.com indicating Interpreter English in the subject of the email.
Personal History Forms are available at
The UNHCR workforce consists of many diverse nationalities, cultures, languages and opinions. UNHCR seeks to sustain and strengthen this diversity to ensure equal opportunities as well as an inclusive working environment for its entire workforce. Applications are encouraged from all qualified candidates without distinction on grounds of race, sex, national origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation and gender identity.