13 MONTH PAID WORK PLACEMENTS FOR STUDENTS in BUSINESS & MARKETING
and COMPUTER SCIENCE/COMPUTER ENGINEERING/ELECTRICAL ENGINEERING).
These placements start June-July 2019, and finish August 2019
Placement location: Cluj-Napoca, Romania
ABOUT THE COMPANY
Digilent designs and manufactures tools for embedded system development, and test & measurement devices for rapid prototyping and training. Since our founding in 2000, Digilent has partnered with leading semiconductor companies including Xilinx, Microchip, Analog Devices, Texas Instruments and MIPS Technologies to develop useful products.
These are supported by resources such as workshops, teaching materials, sample labs, shared curriculums, and online video tutorials that enable educators to teach with, and engineers to design with, the latest technology. Our products can be found in more than 1,000 Universities in 70+ countries, and in thousands of companies. We participate in many influential events and conferences to stay close to our customers.
More information: www.digilent.com
Digilent’s parent company is National Instruments (“NI”), HQ Austin Tx, USA. Being part of a global company gives Digilent financial security and access to many useful support resources.
Digilent’s marketing and business headquarters is in Seattle USA, with our primary development centre in Cluj-Napoca Romania. We also have a team in China. Manufacturing and distribution is out-sourced to a partner in Taiwan. Our business is growing and we have decided to launch an Under-Graduate Placement scheme based in Cluj to nurture talent within the company. This will begin with positions in the development team for an under-graduate Engineer or Programmer, and for a student of Business & Marketing in our European sales team.
If you feel you are ready for this challenge, please visit below URL for the full placement descriptions:
ELECTRONICS, DIGITAL DESIGN, SOFTWARE ENGINEERING
Our small R&D team spans a wide spectrum of engineering tasks, offering plenty of learning opportunities. From designing analog or digital MCU/FPGA-based hardware systems to programming them, you are bound to find your calling with us. Experience audio, video, data processing, test&measurement systems from an educational perspective, serving students and academia. Attend engineering shows, hold technical workshops, and develop learning materials. Experience a company small enough for creative thinking, but with strong corporate support.
Your duties could include:
- Developing new instrumentation, FPGA or MCU system boards, Pmod or Pcam peripherals
- Testing, characterisation, qualification of new designs
- Refining analog interface design,
- Software programming in C++/Python,
- Digital hardware design in VHDL or C++ (HLS),
- Embedded software programming in C/C++,
- Helping with the annual Digilent Design Contest
- Attending engineering shows, connecting with our user base.
SKILLS YOU WILL DEVELOP
The mentoring provided by Digilent is first class. Through a mixture of on-the-job and formal training, Students will be helped and encouraged to fulfill their potential. A willingness to learn, the confidence to “have a go”, and the persistence to “figure it out”, are essential qualities in the candidates we are seeking.
- Understanding of Embedded Development Tools, and Instrumentation Devices
- How new products are defined and developed
- Programming and hardware design skills
Working efficiently and effectively, being responsive, understanding organizations and teamwork. A complete working experience in a leading company, that enables you to grow towards your professional career.
The communications skills needed to work in a dynamic company: face-to-face, telephone, web meeting, and e-mail. Highly proficient use of English, particularly for technical subjects, enabling effective and clear communication.
Understanding the growing market for Digilent’s technologies, and gaining a genuine appreciation of the market trends from an insider’s point of view. Understanding marketing and Sales processes
Working in a multi-cultural environment. Regular interaction with colleagues locally and in other parts of the world, and with management.
A unique element in these placements is that the 13 month Interns will be involved in the recruitment process for their successors. They will then give training to their successors during a handover period.
Students who have successful placements with us may be asked to stay on longer (within the scope of their return date to University), and there may be opportunities for part-time project work during term-times and holidays. After graduation, these individuals will be actively considered for new full-time positions with the company as employees.
THE SKILLS YOU BRING (by position)
Electronics / Software
- Both practical and theoretical problem-solving abilities
- Passion for engineering
- Digital design and FPGA experience
- C(++)/Python experience
Other skills we value, but which are not essential:
- Additional language skills (apart from English). Romanian would be useful socially, but is not essential.
- Previous work experience
- An appreciation of different cultures
WORKING CONDITIONS & REMUNERATION
- Location – Cluj-Napoca, Romania. A growing and increasingly international town, student-friendly, with low living costs.
- Collegiate company environment: everyone working together on common goals
- State-of-the-art development Labs with excellent tools and equipment
- Training: excellent on-the-job training
- Salary: €800 pre-tax per month (about €550/month after taxes), depending on experience
- Salary paid monthly - so you must be able to support yourself during your first month.
- Paid holiday allowance of 20 days per year plus the Romanian public holidays.
- €450 relocation allowance payable in your final month at Digilent to assist with relocation costs back to your University.
Applicants MUST meet the following criteria
- Be available for a placement of at least 13 months
- You can retain your student status throughout the placement and be treated as an “Intern” by your University, OR be a “Student in suspense” taking a year out from your course, in which case you would be an employee of Digilent Romania.
- Be fluent in English, written and spoken
- Have the drive and motivation to accept new challenges
- You must be a citizen of the European Union or Switzerland
GENERAL SKILLS YOU SHOULD HAVE
- The ability to learn quickly
- A keen sense of responsibility
- The maturity to work with minimal supervision
- The ability to live independently away from home
Applications will be assessed as they are received, so applying early increases your chances.
The latest submission date is 28th February 2019
1. Send your CV and a cover letter in English by email to Robert.Owen@Digilent.com - The cover letter should detail why you are applying for this job, and how you satisfy the criteria required. It should not be more than one side of A4. Please ensure that you specify your nationality.
2. CVs will be assessed shortly after they are received. Selected candidates will be offered a telephone interview.
3. The first interview will look at your technical skills for the targeted role
4. If your skills match our needs, a second interview will be offered to review your career plan and your motivation for applying. ALL the interviewers in these first two stages have previous experience of completing successful Student Placements. Some of the successful candidates from this process may also be interviewed by Robert Owen who is supervising this process.
5. Candidates that pass these stages will then be shortlisted for interviews by Digilent.
6. Successful candidates will be notified soon after this, and a contract offered. The start dates will be between June and July 2019, and agreed individually.
For more information:
Essaimage Associates (www.essaimage.com) are running this recruitment process for Digilent.
They have 24 years’ experience running 13 month placements across Texas Instruments Europe, EnOcean GmbH, Alelion Enery Systems GmbH (formerly Caterva), and Imagination Technologies.
You can address your questions to Robert Owen, Director of Essaimage Associates and Consultant to Digilent: